Monday, August 17, 2009

It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. ~Albert Einstein

The other day I knew three people who had people who passed away. And I had this thought. Even though they have died, the world carries on. Cars will still driving down the street. People still went to work. The sun still set. The world carried on without them. So what if I died today? Who would stop and give me a second thought? Who would call into work sick, symptoms of severe pain and a broken heart? Would those I care most about care about me? Would the people I hurt learn to forgive, knowing I never meant to hurt intentionally? Would there be words that would go unsaid to others, others to myself? Would it rain that day, an easy way to disguise the tears of those who cry? Would it be a day unlike any other, one that would be marked in history and easy to forget.....like Christmas or something. Then it got me also thinking, yet another self evaluation that I didn't even see coming. I could die tomorrow or I could live til I'm 90. Hopefully I can sense when this will occur, but death could happen at any moment. I mean I already look like death some days after countless hours of sleep lost. Death is already calling to me. Ha ha! But seriously, I could go at any moment. Someone once posed the question, "If I died, what would I be most afraid about my parents discovering?" I'm not really sure I know the answer.....More importantly, am I leaving the kind of legacy behind that when I look down from heaven (or up from hell...ha ha) is it a life that was worth living? Recently I have been focused more on the things that don't truly matter in the long run, things that can't be changed or molded, worrying over the small things in life, stressing without knowing the details. Good thing God gave me tomorrow to change....

No comments:

Post a Comment